Welcome to the website of Anneke Smelik
Here you can find information about my research and publications.
Feel free to have a look around and download the various texts you want.
There is a special page on fashion research.
Professor emerita Anneke Smelik is now retired.
I am slowly getting used to having more time for research, lectures, travels, walks, fitness and going to the movies (well, that is the aim at least!).
- I gave my valedictory lecture at Radboud University of Nijmegen where I worked for over 25 years; I am now retired (which feels like a long research sabbatical!).
De afscheidsrede is te lezen als essay in De Groene Amsterdammer.
- New article: ‘Polyester: a cultural history’ (May, 2023) in Fashion Practice.
- I am co-editor of the journal Critical Studies in Fashion & Beauty.
- Here I am, proudly presenting the book Delft Blue to Denim Blue: Contemporary Dutch Fashion that gives an in-depth analysis of Dutch fashion, featuring 140 pictures.
- Email [email protected]
My research focuses on:
- an exploration of mindfulness for fashion studies
- slow fashion and issues of sustainability
- posthuman fashion
- new materialism in fashion studies
- a Deleuzean perspective on fashion